Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Neighbours Experience

I talked to the neighbors across the street from my place a couple of weeks ago about their renovation.  They live in a house very similar to mine and have recently finished raising their house and replacing their foundation, among other things.  Since I am planning on doing almost the same thing, they kindly showed me around their place, told me about what they did, and how much things cost.

I got some valuable pointers about financing the project and got to learn some of the things they found out along the way.  For example:

  • Apparently the city will want me to replace my sanitary line from my house out to the sidewalk and will ask that I separate the storm line (roof drain, perimeter foundation drain) from the sanitary line.  But apparently this last bit is optional.  And it's a good thing it is, because the city sewer in my street is a combined system (sanitary and storm water are in the same pipe together).  So there isn't much point in paying extra to separate the two, since (in my opinion) the city will likely not separate their sanitary and storm systems in the near future.
  • For the foundation consider using insulated forms rather than a traditional strip form concrete foundation.  Insulated forms cost more, but you can build your interior wall directly on the insulated form and your insulation has be installed with the foundation.
  • Their original foundation was not level to begin with (so probably, neither is mine) so be prepared for lots of cracks to develop in your walls after the new foundation is poured and the house is leveled on top of the new foundation.  You may even have some doors that will not close after the house is lowered onto the new foundation, so you'll probably need to sand down doors and door frames afterward.
  • If you're replacing your driveway, and it is up close to the side of your foundation, wait until the next summer to do it if you can.  Although the ground that is put back around the foundation should be compacted as it goes back in the hole, you may still get some settlement which could cause your new driveway to crack or settle, ruining that new investment of yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment